Advertisement

Hostage Yank journalist in Yemen pleads for help

American not saved in U.S. military raid now threatened with death.

By
Mary Papenfuss
London-born American Luke Somers was kidnapped over a year ago in the Yemeni capital of Sana'a, where he was working as a photojournalist. Photo by javarman/Shutterstock.
London-born American Luke Somers was kidnapped over a year ago in the Yemeni capital of Sana'a, where he was working as a photojournalist. Photo by javarman/Shutterstock.

SNA'A, Yemen, Dec. 3 (UPI) -- An Al-Qaida affiliate is now threatening to kill a hostage American photojournalist who was the key target of a failed rescue raid by U.S. commandos and Yemeni forces last week.

Luke Somers, 33, was grabbed off the street in the Yemeni capital of Sana'a over a year ago. U.S. Special Operation forces and Yemeni troops discovered he had apparently been moved just days before the raid to save Somers, but they did rescue several other hostages, including Yemenis.

Advertisement

An official with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula said in a video message that Somers will meet his "inevitable fate" if the United States doesn't meet the group's demands in three days — though he didn't reveal what the demands are.

"We warn Obama and the American government of the consequences of proceeding ahead in any other foolish action," the official said in the video.

Somers, who was born in Britain, also appears in the video. "My name is Luke Somers. I'm 33 years old. I was born in England but I carry American citizenship and have lived in America for most of my life," he explains.

"I'm looking for any help that can get me out of this situation. I'm certain that my life is in danger. So as I sit here now, I ask if anything can be done, please, let it be done."

Latest Headlines