JERUSALEM, Nov. 14 (UPI) -- Security was enhanced in Jerusalem on Friday as Israel removed an age restriction on Muslim worshipers at Temple Mount, a contested holy site that has sparked unrest in recent weeks.
An age limit had been imposed that allowed only men and women aged 35 and older to enter the Temple Mount complex, also known as Al Haram Al Sharif, in order to prevent youth protests.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said that police were posted around the capital, with forces concentrated in the Old City.
An announcement about the change was made by police shortly after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu concluded a meeting with Jordan's King Abdullah II and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry in Amman on Thursday.
The trilateral meeting was convened over tensions in Jerusalem that has included violent clashes between Palestinians and Israelis over access to the Temple Mount holy site. Jordan recalled its ambassador to Israel on Nov. 5 "to protest against the unprecedented and escalated Israel aggressions at the Haram Al Sharif compound in occupied Jerusalem, and its repeated violations in the holy city."
At the trilateral meeting, Kerry said the Jordanian king and Israeli prime minister "discussed specific actions both sides can take to restore calm." The secretary of state was reticent to disclose what those specific actions will be. "It's better that they be done quietly and practically," he said, adding, "I'm convinced it will be done."