TEHRAN, Nov. 7 (UPI) -- Detained Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian, who has been held by Iran without charge since July, may soon be released.
Mohammed Javad Larijani, head of Iran's human rights council, made that prediction in an interview taped Monday with the Euronews television channel. The full interview is set to air Friday.
According to an interview transcript provided to the Post, Larijani said he anticipates Rezaian to be released "in less than a month."
Rezaian has been detained for "activities beyond journalism... which breaches the security of the state," Larijani said without offering specifics. The reporter has been held while charges were considered and "this prosecutor detained him and again renewed his detention because the file was not ready," Larijani explained, adding "I think this dossier is approaching completion."
Larijani said he hopes the prosecutor will decide to drop the case after concluding "maybe the accusations are not quite substantial." If not, the case will go to the courts -- where Larijani's brother heads the judiciary -- and either Rezaian's case will be dropped or the journalist will be indicted.
Rezaian's family published an open letter last week to mark the passage of 100 days since his detention. "After 100 days it's time for Iran to concede Jason's innocence and release him."
Rezaian, 38, a dual U.S. and Iranian citizen, has worked for the Post since 2012. He and his wife, Yeganeh Salehi, were among four journalists detained by Iran in July. The other two, a photojournalist and her husband, were freed in August. Salehi was released on bail in early October.