State Department's 5 safety tips for Spring Break abroad

If you or a college student you know are traveling abroad for Spring Break, the U.S. Department of State has assembled five travel tips to stay safe while having fun.
By JC Finley  |  Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:23 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter
| License Photo

WASHINGTON, Feb. 26 (UPI) -- The U.S. Department of State is offering tips for college students preparing to embark on a Spring Break adventure.

Acknowledging that some students may travel to a foreign country during Spring Break to study, volunteer, or relax, the State Department offered the following travel abroad tips:

1) Avoid underage and excessive alcohol consumption. “Overdoing it” can lead to an arrest, accident, violent crime, or death.

2) Obey all local laws, and remember they might be different from our own. Don’t carry or use drugs, as this can result in severe penalties. Don’t carry weapons either—some countries have strict laws, and even possessing something as small as a pocketknife or a single bullet can get you into legal trouble.

3) Before you leave for your trip, learn as much as possible about your destination at our website dedicated to student travelers: Here, you can find out about entry requirements, crime, health precautions, and road conditions.

4) Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This program keeps students up-to-date with important safety and security announcements, such as Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and security messages.

5) Keep in touch with your parents. If you will be without Internet or phone service for a few days, let them know. We receive many calls from parents who fear the worst when they have not heard from their children. In most cases, their child is fine, but has been too busy to check in.

Of course, even well-prepared travelers may face an emergency, like a lost passport or an injury. In those cases, our embassies and consulates are available to help 24/7. Be sure to write down the contact information for the U.S. embassy or consulate in your destination country.

[State Department]

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories