PARIS, July 12 (UPI) -- Appellate judges at a U.N. war crimes tribunal in Paris say the leader of the Bosnian Serbs during the 1990s Balkan war must be tried on two counts of genocide.
The judges said a tribunal had improperly dismissed one count against Radovan Karadzic in 2012, CNN reported Friday.
The genocide charge that had been dismissed accused Karadzic of attempting to remove Bosnian Muslims and Croats from parts of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1992. His trial will now consider that charge once again.
That's in addition to the genocide charge that had not been affected by the earlier decision -- that he was complicit in the deaths of nearly 8,000 Muslim men and boys in the town of Srebrenica in 1995.
The appeals court ruling Thursday appeared specifically timed to coincide with ceremonies in Srebrenica commemorating the 18th anniversary of the massacre, The New York Times reported.
Presiding judge Theodor Meron, reading the appellate court ruling, said the other court had erred in dismissing the second genocide charge because there was trial enough evidence of Karadzic's genocidal intentions during a 1992 campaign.
Peter Robinson, an American lawyer representing Karadzic, said his client was disappointed by the ruling, but that "we will double our efforts to show there was no genocide across Bosnia."