CAIRO, May 21 (UPI) -- Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak will remain behind bars for another 30 days, an Egyptian court ruled Tuesday.
It is the third extension of Mubarak's most recent jail stint on charges he exploited his office for personal financial gain. The 84-year-old former leader, who is in failing health, is being held in Cairo's Tora Prison Hospital.
Ahram Online said Mubarak's raft of legal cases are moving forward, with the fraud charges progressing along with a retrial on charges he failed to protect protesters and was complicit in the deaths of unarmed protesters during the 18-day uprising that led to his ouster in 2011.
He was convicted and slapped with a life sentence on the latter charges last year but was granted a retrial due to procedural problems. The retrial is ongoing and began May 11, Ahram Online said.
No trial date was reported for the illicit gains charges.