AMMAN, Jordan, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- Exploratory peace talks between Israeli and Palestinian negotiators that were to end last week will go on for at least another month, an official said.
A Palestinian representative told Army Radio, Israel, talks between Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat and Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's representative, Yitzhak Molcho, would continue until March, The Jerusalem Post reported.
Erekat and Molcho have met five times in low-level talks, sponsored by Jordan, in keeping with a plan by the Middle East Quartet in which the two sides are to agree on a framework for high-level talks.
The Quartet comprises the United States, Russia, the United Nations and the European Union.
Netanyahu said Sunday the exploratory, low-level talks in Amman could lead to direct negotiations.
"The signs are not particularly good, but I hope they will rebound and we can make progress," Netanyahu said at a weekly Cabinet meeting.
But he said the Palestinians "have refused to discuss with us our security needs."
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas criticized what he called "Israeli intransigence" and said Israel had not presented a "clear vision" on border and security issues raised by the Quartet.