KHARTOUM, Sudan, Dec. 29 (UPI) -- Sudanese Defense Minister Abdul Rahim Mohamed Hussein says he plans to ignore war crimes allegations leveled by the International Criminal Court.
In his first comments since ICC prosecutors called for his arrest Dec. 2, Hussein told a crowd Wednesday in Khartoum he is not worried about a potential arrest warrant, the Sudan Tribune reported.
ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said told the newspaper Hussein was "one of those who bears the greatest criminal responsibility" for war crimes allegedly committed in Darfur in 2003 and 2004 when he served as Sudan's representative in the western region.
The crimes, including rape and murder, occurred during attacks by government forces and Janjaweed militias in several villages in West Darfur, the ICC said.
The Sudanese government says the ICC is trying to sabotage peace in Darfur, the newspaper said.
The court, based in The Hague, Netherlands, previously indicted Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir on genocide charges.