Norway massacre suspect appears in court

Nov. 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM
share with facebook
share with twitter

OSLO, Norway, Nov. 14 (UPI) -- Anders Breivik, accused of killing 77 people in Norway, made his first public appearance in court Monday but was not allowed to give a speech he had prepared.

Breivik, hands and feet cuffed, was escorted into Oslo City Court for the hearing, giving families of the victims of the July slaughter a chance to see the accused killer.

The hearing was to determine if Breivik would remain in jail until his trial in April.

District Court Judge Torkjel Nesheim extended Breivik's jail time another 12 weeks, CNN reported. Breivik's confinement is reviewed periodically to adjust the terms as needed.

Breivik wanted to give a speech but the request was denied.

Norway's TV2 reported that Breivik said he didn't recognize the court's authority because he opposes the multicultural society of which it is a part.

He was stopped several times when he referred to himself as commander of the Knights Templar, a title he used in a 1,500-page manifesto.

Previous hearings were closed, but the Norwegian Supreme Court ruled last week that proceedings going forward would be conducted in open court.

Breivik is accused of killing eight people in a bomb attack in downtown Oslo and 69 young people on Utoya Island on July 22.

He confessed to the killings, authorities said, but he pleaded not guilty.

Police have held Breivik in isolation since his capture the day of the massacre out of concern he may try to communicate with potential accomplices, even though investigators said they believe he acted alone.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories