LONDON, Sept. 13 (UPI) -- British lawmakers decided Tuesday to recall News Corp. executive James Murdoch for more questions on the phone-hacking scandal at News of the World.
The Guardian reports the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport committee will focus on whether Murdoch knew hacking went beyond one reporter at the now-closed News of the World weekly tabloid.
Colin Myler, the former editor of the paper, and Tom Crone, former legal manager, told the committee last week they had informed Murdoch in 2008 about an e-mail suggesting the phone-hacking went beyond one reporter.
That contradicts what Murdoch told a parliamentary committee in July when he said he did not know about the e-mail, had not seen it and was not informed of its contents. He repeated that claim in a statement last week.
News Corp. is awaiting details of the committee's request, a spokeswoman said.
"James Murdoch is happy to appear in front of the committee again to answer any further questions members might have," the spokeswoman said.
The date of the appearance for Murdoch, the News International chief, has not been finalized.
The hacking scandal began this summer with revelations that News of the World arranged to illegally access the phone messages of British royalty and others, including crime victims, in 2005 and 2006. The paper's parent company, media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., shut down News of the World in July. British police made more than a dozen arrests.