BEIJING, June 18 (UPI) -- At least 17 people were killed and thousands forced to evacuate in South China by flash flooding and mudslides triggered by rain, officials said Saturday.
In Sichuan province, eight deaths were reported and another 29 people were missing Saturday, Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, said.
In Guizhou, two people were killed by lightning and two students on their way home Friday evening were swept away by a flash flood, officials said. A total of eight were killed in the province.
In Guangdong, the provincial flood control office said a student was killed Friday when fencing collapsed.
The flood season began June 9 with heavy rain in eastern China. By Saturday, a total of 370,000 people had been forced from their homes in the eastern provinces.
The Wuhan section of the Yangtze River rose by about 2 feet between 8 p.m. Friday and 5 p.m. Saturday, although it remained about 10 feet below flood stage.