Advertisement

23 reported dead in Misurata attacks

23 reported dead in Misurata attacks
Libyan rebel fighters rest at a checkpoint May 12, 2011. UPI\Tarek Alhuony. | License Photo

MISURATA, Libya, June 10 (UPI) -- Forces loyal to Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi bombarded the rebel-held western city of Misurata Friday, killing at least 23 people, officials said.

Dr. Khaled Abu Falgha of Hekma Hospital said 78 others were injured in what he described as the heaviest casualties in the past month.

Advertisement

CNN reported shelling in Zliten and Dafniya as well.

Misurata has been under siege for two months and estimates put the death toll at 1,000, including 686 civilians who lived in the city.

NATO bombed Gadhafi's Tripoli compound earlier this week, bringing to 10,439 the number of sorties that have been flown in what the NATO alliance has described as a mission to protect Libyan civilians from Gadhafi forces.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement