BRUSSELS, May 4 (UPI) -- NATO said Wednesday it regrets any loss of innocent life but will continue to strike military targets in Libya.
During a briefing at headquarters Wednesday, NATO spokesperson Oana Lungescu said NATO is not going after specific individuals but genuine military targets.
"This is a complex campaign, operating across the whole of Libya, dedicated to steadily degrading the ability of the Gadhafi regime to attack its own people," Lungescu said.
She said in recent days NATO airstrikes have destroyed 17 ammunition stores and numerous armored personnel carriers and other armored vehicles.
"In Tripoli NATO aircraft struck command and control buildings responsible for directing attacks against civilians," Lungescu said, adding that she could not confirm Libyan television reports that a son of Moammar Gadhafi died in one of those airstrikes.
Vice Admiral Rinaldo Veri, the commander of maritime forces, said every effort is being made to keep the port of Misurata open.
He said pro-Gadhafi forces had attempted to lay mines in the approaches to Misurata last week to halt the flow of humanitarian aid.