REGGIO CALABRIA, Italy, Oct. 20 (UPI) -- A member of the Calabrian mob was arrested Wednesday for a wave of bombings meant to terrorize judges and prosecutors, Italian police said.
Antonio Cortese, 48, has been accused of the explosions by a 'Ndrangheta boss who just became an informant, Antonino Lo Giudice, the news agency ANSA reported.
Lo Giudice has said Cortese, a skilled bomb-maker, was directly responsible for bombings on Jan. 3 at the Reggio Calabria courthouse on Aug. 26 outside the home of Prosecutor General Salvatore Di Landro.
The boss, whose credibility is still being judged by law enforcement, also has accused Cortese of sending a bazooka to the local anti-Mafia bureau earlier this month. So far, police said, Cortese is only under investigation for the bazooka matter, and the other charges will be assessed by prosecutors.
Cortese was found on a bus near Trieste while attempting to return to Italy from Slovenia. Police had been watching the border crossing for two days. He did not resist arrest.
Italian authorities now consider the Calabrian 'Ndrangheta richer and stronger than Sicily's Cosa Nostra.