RAMALLAH, West Bank, Sept. 8 (UPI) -- The Palestinian Authority arrested Hamas operatives allegedly involved in shooting attacks that killed four Israelis and left two wounded, officials said.
The attacks occurred on August 31 near Hebron and on September 1 east of Ramallah in the West Bank. Hamas claimed responsibility for both attacks.
In the August attack, four Israelis were killed as they drove towards the West Bank settlement of Beit Haggai. The following day two Israelis were wounded, one seriously, when gunmen opened fire on their car as they drove east of Ramallah.
The fatal shooting occurred hours before Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu agreed to resume peace negotiations while attending a summit in Washington.
In response to the arrests, Hamas issued a statement warning the Palestinian Authority it will not remain silent for long, Israel Radio said Wednesday.
"You know that the hands that have reached the heart of the occupier can reach you too," Hamas warned, referring to its recent attacks against Israelis in the West Bank. The movement warned it has the ability to strike anywhere at any time, the radio report said.
On Tuesday night, Palestinian security officials said they arrested three suspects involved in the September attack, including the shooters and one of those involved in planning the attack, Middle East Online said Wednesday. The three are said to be from a village near Ramallah.
Last week, the Palestinian security forces arrested three Hamas operatives they suspect were involved in the fatal shooting attack near Hebron, the site said.
Palestinian security officials tracked down the vehicle used in the fatal shooting attack which led to the arrests of a number of suspects, the Israeli daily newspaper Haaretz said.