PEBBLE BEACH, Calif., April 13 (UPI) -- Tiger Woods has submitted his entry to participate in this summer's U.S. Open at Pebble Beach, Calif., officials confirmed Tuesday.
Mike Davis, senior director of rules and competitions for the U.S. Golf Association, told the Monterey (Calif.) Herald that Woods has filed a formal notification that he intends to take part in the June 17-20 event.
"Tiger has certainly filed an entry, and we're certainly anticipating that he's going to play," Davis told the newspaper. "If someone fully exempt (from qualifying) files an entry, generally speaking, they always do play. It'd be very unusual for someone fully exempt like Tiger to file an entry and not play, but it does happen if someone's knee gets hurt or something like that."
The deadline for filing to participate in the U.S. Open is April 28.
Woods made his highly anticipated return to golf at last week's Masters Tournament following a five-month hiatus. He withdrew from the tour after admitting to marital infidelities exposed in the wake of a November 2009 car accident outside his Florida home.