TORONTO, Feb. 2 (UPI) -- At least four Toronto-area drivers who had their licenses suspended in court drove away when they left, a Canadian Broadcasting Corp. report said Tuesday.
The broadcaster aired a report it compiled last week in which news crews followed the first four men whose licenses were suspended and recorded them driving away.
The charges the men faced weren't published, although the CBC said one of the men who drove away from the courthouse has 34 driving convictions and nine license suspensions.
The most recent figures for the province of Ontario show some 266,698 drivers had their licenses suspended in 2008. The Mothers Against Drunk Driving advocacy group claims as many as three-quarters of suspended drivers ignore their driving ban, the report said.
Brian Patterson, president of traffic safety for the Ontario Safety League, told the broadcaster provincial legislation needed to be re-examined.
"We have to put teeth back into that regulation because frankly, it's a privilege to drive, and we allow people to (abuse) that privilege, and we simply don't make them accountable," he said.