Six Flags CEO Selim Bassoul said people seeking to abuse the dining program created unacceptably long waiting times for legitimate users. File Photo by Bill Greenblatt/UPI | License Photo
May 14 (UPI) -- The chief executive of Six Flags amusement parks says he's eliminating unlimited dining privileges for season pass holders after strategies for exploiting the program went viral on social media.
Six Flags CEO Selim Bassoul revealed during an earnings call with investors on Friday the dining perk for pass holders has been ended because the abuse had made it "highly unprofitable."
Under the program, daily lunches, dinners and free drinks were included for the entire season for a one-time $80 fee -- but no more, the CEO said in the call.
Those who sought to wring as much food as possible from the program made it "very, very expensive to run" and "choked everything," Bassoul said.
"And sometimes, they will most probably abuse the system, as you've seen online," he said, blaming the abusers for "ruin[ing] the experience of somebody who came in on a single-day ticket with their family who paid a lot of money to come and paid parking ... now they have 45 minutes to an hour waiting to get a meal while those other people are choking the line for $80 for the whole season.
"So that's gone," he said, adding that if a new dining plan is introduced in the future, "it has to be totally revisited."
The move was made after a TikTok user with the handle "Six Flags Scoundrel" publicized his efforts to exploit the system on the platform, The Dallas Morning News reported.
The user said in an interview with Vice News last year his goal was to obtain $2,000 worth of food and drinks out of his combined season and dining passes to Six Flags -- about 10 times what he paid for them.