Sept. 10 (UPI) -- Two women died and four others, including three children, were hospitalized with apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Friday in Chicago, authorities said.
The victims all were found around 1:40 p.m. in a two-story home in the Little Village neighborhood located about five miles southeast of downtown Chicago, Fire Department spokesman Larry Merritt told the Chicago Sun-Times.
Authorities were called to the scene by a neighbor who reported a strong smell of gas coming from the house.
Two women, one in her 70s and another in her 50s, were found dead in a basement apartment while an adult and three children found in a first-floor unit were rushed to Stroger Hospital. They were listed in stable condition.
Neighbors told WGN-TV the women who died were mother and daughter.
Merritt said fire investigators had not yet determined the source of carbon monoxide leak but believe it began sometime the preceding night.