Advertisement

2 dead, 4 others hospitalized in Chicago carbon monoxide leak

By
Don Jacobson

Sept. 10 (UPI) -- Two women died and four others, including three children, were hospitalized with apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Friday in Chicago, authorities said.

The victims all were found around 1:40 p.m. in a two-story home in the Little Village neighborhood located about five miles southeast of downtown Chicago, Fire Department spokesman Larry Merritt told the Chicago Sun-Times.

Advertisement

Authorities were called to the scene by a neighbor who reported a strong smell of gas coming from the house.

Two women, one in her 70s and another in her 50s, were found dead in a basement apartment while an adult and three children found in a first-floor unit were rushed to Stroger Hospital. They were listed in stable condition.

Neighbors told WGN-TV the women who died were mother and daughter.

Merritt said fire investigators had not yet determined the source of carbon monoxide leak but believe it began sometime the preceding night.

Latest Headlines