June 9 (UPI) -- President Joe Biden on Wednesday ended a Trump-era executive order to ban Chinese apps TikTok and WeChat, but placed them under a new security review.
TikTok is a popular video-sharing app and WeChat is a messaging platform. Both are owned by Chinese companies.
Biden's issued an executive order that asks for a review of the apps to ensure they're not in control of a foreign adversary or present a risk to the national security.
The White House said Biden's administration will take appropriate further action after the review is complete.
Officials said the administration is dedicated to an open and accessible Internet that safeguards human rights, but added that certain countries, including China, "do not share these values and seek to leverage digital technologies and Americans' data in ways that present unacceptable national security risks."
The White House said the order will enable the United States to take strong steps to protect sensitive data from Americans, provide criteria for identifying risky software applications and procure options to guard sensitive data.
"Additionally, the Department of Commerce will make recommendations for additional executive and legislative actions to further address the risk associated with foreign adversary connected software applications," the White House said.
Former President Donald Trump's administration sought to block TikTok and WeChat last year on national security grounds. The move set off a series of legal challenges and the app remains active in the United States. Beijing answered by threatening sanctions.
TikTok says it has more than 100 million users in the United States.