Advertisement

Federal prosecutors request to drop charges against man in Capitol riot case

Federal prosecutors on Tuesday requested to drop charges against Christopher Kelly, a New York man charged with participating in the Jan. 6 Capitol riots. File Photo by Leigh Vogel/UPI
Federal prosecutors on Tuesday requested to drop charges against Christopher Kelly, a New York man charged with participating in the Jan. 6 Capitol riots. File Photo by Leigh Vogel/UPI | License Photo

June 1 (UPI) -- Federal prosecutors on Tuesday said they plan to drop a case against a man accused of entering the Capitol building during the Jan. 6 riot.

In a court filing, prosecutors told the judge that evidence did not support the charges against Christopher Kelly of New York for allegedly entering the Capitol and obstructing Congress as lawmakers attempted to certify the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Advertisement

"The government and defense counsel have discussed the merits of the case and upon reflection of the facts currently known to the government, the government believes that dismissal without prejudice at this time serves the interest of justice," they wrote.

A federal judge had not immediately signed off on the case dismissal Tuesday and Kelly's attorney declined to provide further information.

RELATED GOP senators block bill to create Jan. 6 Capitol riot commission

Kelly was arrested Jan. 20 after the FBI side a paid confidential informant told agents Kelly posted about the riot and his plans to be in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6 on the Facebook Messenger app.

"I believe the messages and image ... reflect that Chris Kelly was using this account to inform associates that he had breached the Capitol and was inside," the FBI said.

Advertisement

The court document included photos of Kelly attending a rally on the Capitol grounds but did not include further evidence he actually entered the building amid the riot, such as photos of him inside.

RELATED House approves $1.9B U.S. Capitol security bill, by single vote

Kelly's case also did not include cellphone data indicating he was inside the Capitol building, as was provided for other defendants.

The decision Tuesday is one of the first moves taken so far to resolve the nearly 500 cases related to the Jan. 6 riot.

In addition to prosecutors requesting to drop Kelly's case, two defendants including a member of the far-right group known as the Oath Keepers have pleaded guilty.

RELATED Facebook Oversight Board upholds Donald Trump ban

Siege aftermath: damage to historic U.S. Capitol

Capitol Hill police salute the passing of the funeral hearse on Sunday for slain Officer Brian Sicknick, who died in the rioting at the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday. Photo by Mike Theiler/UPI | License Photo

Latest Headlines