Advertisement

Three Proud Boys members charged over Capitol siege

Three Proud Boys members charged over Capitol siege
Pro-Trump rioters breach the security perimeter and penetrate the U.S. Capitol to protest against the Electoral College vote count certifying President Joe Biden the winner of the November election in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6. Photo by Ken Cedeno/UPI | License Photo

Feb. 3 (UPI) -- Federal authorities brought charges against three prominent members of the Proud Boys on Wednesday, accusing them or planning to breach the Capitol building on Jan. 6.

Nicholas DeCarlo, 30, of Burleson, Texas, and Nicholas R. Ochs, 34, of Honolulu, Hawaii, were charged in an a seven-count indictment returned Wednesday by a federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., with conspiring to obstruct the U.S. Congress' certification of President Joe Biden's election win as well as other charges in connection to breaching the Capitol building.

Advertisement

Ethan Nordean, 30, of Washington state, was arrested and separately charged on Wednesday with obstructing or impeding an official proceeding, aiding and abetting, knowingly entering a restricted building and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.

Federal prosecutors said Ochs claims to be the founder of the Honolulu chapter of the Proud Boys while Nordean, who also goes by the name Rufio Panman, is the self-described sergeant of arms for the group's Seattle branch.

RELATED Canada designates Proud Boys as terrorist group

The complaints charging the three men accuse them of having planned their assaults on the building.

In the indictment charging DeCarlo and Ochs, federal prosecutors accuse the pair of conspiring with others to travel from their home states to the nation's capital in order to stop the certification of November's election results.

Advertisement

Prosecutors said they raised money through the Internet to fund their trips and that they also publicized their plans to stop the certification of President Joe Biden's election win.

RELATED Pelosi calls for security overhaul, '9/11-type commission' to probe Capitol attack

DeCarlo and Ochs are also accused of entering the Capitol building on Jan. 6 and inscribing "murder the media" on the Capitol's Memorial Door and of stealing a pair of Capitol Police flex handcuffs.

In the affidavit supporting the criminal complaint against Nordean, prosecutors accuse him of organizing a group to "attempt to overwhelm police barricades and enter the United States Capitol building."

Prosecutors said in the court document that Nordean posted a message Dec. 27 on his Parler social media account looking for people to donate safety and protective gear as well as communication equipment as "things have gotten more dangerous for us this past year."

RELATED Senate judiciary presses DOJ, FBI for answers on Capitol attack

On Jan. 4, prosecutors said he posted a video to the platform with the caption "Let them remember the day they decided to make war with use."

Prosecutors said that a day before the siege Nordean posted: "It is apparent now more than ever, that if you are a patriot, you will be targeted and they will come after you, funny thing is that they don't realize is, is we are coming for them."

Advertisement

Several others affiliated with the extreme right-wing group have been arrested and charged for their involvement in the Capitol breach that sent lawmakers inside certifying the election win into hiding.

RELATED SPLC: While hate groups declined in 2020, hate and bigotry did not

Five people died as a result of the attack, including Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, whose remains were interned at Arlington National Cemetery on Wednesday.

Federal agents have been investigating the siege and have charged dozens of people throughout the country, including Dominic Pezzola, 43, and William Pepe, 31, two members of the Proud Boys, who were indicted late last month in connection to the Capitol attack.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement