Shooting at UNC campus leaves two dead, suspect in custody

By Danielle Haynes & Darryl Coote

April 30 (UPI) -- Police arrested a suspected gunman after a shooting on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte on Tuesday that left two people dead and four injured, police said.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police identified the suspect as 22-year-old Trystan Andrew Terrell.


Charges were pending.

The suspect, who was armed with a pistol, was apprehended by two or three campus police officers who rushed into the building where the shots originated from, campus police Chief Jeff Baker said in a news conference.

RELATED Ex-Minnesota police officer found guilty of shooting woman who called 911

"We were able to get into the building quick enough to where we actually took custody of the suspect," Baker said. "He was disarmed and he was taken into custody by our officers."

Two people died at the scene and three of the injured were in critical condition, Baker said.

"I can't tell you the sadness of the entire community to know that a situation like this has occurred on our campus," he said. "We are all pretty much devastated to know anything like this."

RELATED Woman killed in San Diego synagogue shooting laid to rest

Baker said Terrell was not someone who was on his "radar."

Police dispatch received a call around 4:40 p.m. of a shooting on campus and put the school immediately under lockdown.


As the shooting began, the school tweeted out "Run, Hide, Fight. Secure yourself immediately."

RELATED Baltimore police: One dead among eight shot

At around 11 p.m., police allowed remaining occupants on campus to leave after sweeping the buildings, UNCC said on Twitter.

"Our officers' actions definitely saved lives, there's no doubt about that," Baker said.

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said it was a "tragic day for Charlotte."

RELATED Pennsylvania Supreme Court upholds death penalty in trooper ambush

"We mourn the lives lost and we will all be here to support each other," he said in a tweet. "I commend the first responders for their quick action and am grateful that the campus is now secure."

Tuesday was the last day of classes and exams were canceled through Sunday, the university said.

Rep. Alma Adams, D-N.C., said the community has too much death due to "senseless gun violence.

RELATED New Zealand man pleads guilty to spreading video of mosque attacks

"As a mother and grandmother, my heart aches for those who have lost their loved ones," she said in a statement. "My prayers are with everyone affected by this unimaginable heartbreak."

Latest Headlines


Follow Us