Nov. 21 (UPI) -- An 18-year-old University of Maryland student died after an adenovirus outbreak on campus, officials said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Maryland Department of Health and Prince George's County Health Department are investigating the outbreak, authorities said.
Brian Bachus, chief of Maryland's division of outbreak investigations, said the agency learned of the outbreak Nov. 12 after health officials reported it to his team.
Father Ian Paregol told the Sun he wondered if a mold outbreak on campus may have sparked the spread of the adenovirus. He said his daughter was one of numerous students who became ill.
"Every kid in [her] dorm is sick," he said.
Dr. David McBride, director of the university's health center, informed the campus of Paregol's death in a statement and asked students to come forward if they're sick.
"Adenoviruses are common causes of colds, but there are strains that can cause more serious illness," Baker wrote. "Over the past couple of weeks we have shared guidance on preventive measures our community should take during this flu and virus season and we urge our community to follow these guidelines.
Baker said five more cases have been reported in recent days.
"We learned that the testing of one specimen sent to the CDC revealed Adenovirus 7, a strain that may cause more severe illness," he added.
Ian Paregol told WJZ-TV his daughter also suffered from Crohn's Disease, which weakened her immune system and likely made her more vulnerable to the virus.
"When the virus gets into the lungs it can cause damage to the lungs and often you'll get what's called a superinfection or a bacterial infection on top of it, which can also be very serious," said Dr. Scott Krugman, vice chair at Pediatrics Sinai Hospital.