June 8 (UPI) -- Attorneys for Parkland high school shooter Nikolas Cruz debated with prosecutors Friday over how much of the his videotaped police confession should be made public.
Cruz, who killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in February, gave the confession to authorities hours after the attack. His defense team filed a motion this week that argued making certain parts public might "cause significant trauma to an already beleaguered community."
Cruz's attorneys also say parts of the admission are exempt from release under Florida law.
Prosecutor Carolyn McCann disagreed and said Cruz's confession could be released Monday.
"The defendant has not and cannot cite any Florida law supporting his position," McCann argued.
The judge in the case will review the videotaped confession and read the 200-page transcript before ruling on the issue.
Cruz has been held without bond since the shooting. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
Meanwhile, a retired Secret Service agent said he warned MSD administrators months ago that the school could be vulnerable to attack.
Steve Wexler told the Sun Sentinel no one stopped him when he walked through the school with Post-it notes, attaching them to places his bullets or knife would land if he were an intruder.
"I said, 'This stuff is blatantly obvious. You've got to fix this,'" Wexler said, adding that he never heard back from school officials about his recommendations.
Wexler said it was easy to print out a floor plan, bell schedule and aerial map of the school grounds.
"Nobody challenged me. No one approached me -- 'Who are you?'" he said.
Broward County Schools spokeswoman Tracy Clark confirmed Wexler discussed school security with the county last year.