Jan. 23 (UPI) -- At least two people died and 17 others were injured Tuesday after a gunman opened fire at a Kentucky high school, Gov. Matt Bevin said.
The governor gave an update Tuesday afternoon on the shooting that took place at Marshall County High School in the city of Benton in west Kentucky.
Among the dead were a 15-year-old girl who died at the school and a 15-year-old boy declared dead at a hospital.
Bevin said 12 people were wounded by gunfire and five others were treated for non-shooting-related injuries. Emergency officials transported six people to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville.
A Marshall County sheriff's deputy said a 15-year-old boy who attended the school had been taken into custody as a suspect.
The Marshall County Sheriff's Department responded to a shooting first reported about 8 a.m. at the school, about 120 miles northwest of Nashville, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported.
Within an hour, Bevin said on Twitter the shooter was in custody.
"This is a tremendous tragedy and speaks to the heartbreak present in our communities," Bevin said in a statement. "As there is still much unknown, I encourage people to love on each other at this time. Do not speculate, but come alongside each other in support and allow the facts to come out."
Tuesday's shooting occurred one day after gunfire at a Texas high school injured a 15-year-old girl.
A statement from Gov. Bevin regarding this morning's events in Marshall County: pic.twitter.com/0n0cxgJkvi- Governor Matt Bevin (@GovMattBevin) January 23, 2018