Dec. 28 (UPI) -- Two separate airstrikes by the Saudi-led Arab coalition killed 68 civilians in Yemen in one day, the U.N. humanitarian coordinator in the nation said Thursday.
Jamie McGoldrick said in a statement he remains "deeply disturbed by mounting civilian casualties caused by escalated and indiscriminate attacks throughout Yemen."
The U.N. official said 54 people died, including eight children, and 32 others hurt in a "crowded popular market" in Taiz governorate on Tuesday. And 14 members of one family died on a farm in Hodeidah governorate.
Another 43 civilians died and 43 people were injured in the past 10 days from airstrikes throughout Yemen, the U.N. official said.
"These incidents prove the complete disregard for human life that all parties, including the Saudi-led Coalition, continue to show in this absurd war that has only resulted in the destruction of the country and the incommensurate suffering of its people, who are being punished as part of a futile military campaign by both sides," McGoldrick said.
"I remind all parties to the conflict, including the Saudi-led Coalition, of their obligations under International Humanitarian Law to spare civilians and civilian infrastructure and to always distinguish between civilian and military objects."
He said there is no military solution to the conflict. "There can only be a political solution," McGoldrick said.
He said residential areas in al-Hayma, including a health unit occupied by internally displaced persons, "have had a full blockade by the de facto authorities and indiscriminate shelling that resulted in casualties among the residents and displacement of many families to safer areas."
The blockade and fighting has also left 70 percent to 80 percent of the population in need of humanitarian assistance, including 50 percent who require food assistance, according to a U.N. report last week.
The U.N. World Health Organization reported Friday there are 1 million cases of cholera in the country.
The Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights has documented 5,558 civilians killed and 9,065 between Dec. 14 and March 2015, when the Saudi-led coalition intervened in the conflict between forces loyal to Yemen's government and the rebel Houthi movement.