Dec. 22 (UPI) -- Ford Motor Co. CEO Jim Hackett apologized to employees after sexual harassment claims from the automaker's Chicago plants.
The apology Thursday followed a report this week by The New York Times that female employees at Ford's Chicago assembly and stamping plants were ignored and met with hostility after filing claims of sexual harassment.
The Times report said the issues have not been corrected.
In an open letter to workers, Hackett said, "It was gut wrenching to read the accounts of these women ... I am sorry for any instance where a colleague was subjected to harassment or discriminatory conduct."
Hackett said there "is absolutely no room for harassment at Ford Motor Co."
"We don't want you here and we will move you out for engaging in any behavior like this," he wrote.
A three-minute video denouncing sexual harassment and explaining procedures to report it is being played continuously at the Chicago plants.
A company statement earlier this week also condemned sexual harassment in Ford's workplaces, noting that the Chicago plants now have more resources to deal with the issue. The facilities also have stepped up anti-harassment training.
United Auto Workers President Dennis Williams, who represents the union of shop floor employees at the Chicago plants, said this week the union has a "zero tolerance" policy for sexual harassment.