Aug. 24 (UPI) -- At least 16 Americans working for the U.S. government in Cuba experienced symptoms associated with what officials described as an "acoustic attack" at the Embassy in Havana, the State Department said Thursday.
State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert gave reporters new details on those affected by the 2016 attack the department first reported earlier this month. At least one American employee in Havana may have permanent hearing loss. Several others experienced physical symptoms that resembled concussions while in Cuba.
"They have been provided medical treatment in the United States as well as in Cuba," she said. "We take this situation extremely seriously. We are trying to provide them the help, the medical care, the treatment and the support that they need and the support that they deserve."
On Aug. 10, senior federal law enforcement officials said agencies are probing the attack, which appeared to use ultrasound energy. The State Department's office of Diplomatic Security is leading the investigation and the FBI is helping.
Nauert said it's unclear who the perpetrator of the attack was.
Two Cuban diplomats have been expelled from the United States over the allegations.