Aug. 10 (UPI) -- President Donald Trump has declared a disaster in New Hampshire due to severe thunderstorms and flash flooding that struck the state more than a month ago in Grafton County.
The weather event caused severe damage to hundreds of miles of roads, as well as bridges and culverts, New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu said.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency and state authorities estimate damage costs in the millions of dollars. Last month, Sununu said he would request a federal disaster declaration because the state had already surpassed its spending threshold of $4 million.
Trump's disaster declaration will supplement funding for state and local recovery efforts.
In a statement, the White House said "federal funding is available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by the severe storms and flooding in Grafton County."
FEMA can fund up to 75 percent of the eligible costs of approved recovery projects.
"Through this major disaster declaration, those most heavily impacted by the storm can have access to federal support for response efforts. I thank President Trump for his timely response to my request," Sununu said in a statement.
The declaration follows some tension between Trump and the state, concerning remarks the president made earlier this year calling New Hampshire a "drug-infested den." New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen called Trump's statement "a gross misrepresentation of New Hampshire and the epidemic."