Secret Service moves to NYC trailer after dispute at Trump Tower

By Ed Adamczyk Contact the Author   |  Aug. 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM
share with facebook
share with twitter
1 of 2
| License Photo

Aug. 4 (UPI) -- The U.S. Secret Service said it's leaving its command center at the president's Trump Tower in Manhattan, because of a lease dispute.

"After much consideration, it was mutually determined that it would be more cost effective and logistically practical for the Secret Service to lease space elsewhere," Trump Organization spokeswoman Amanda Miller told The Washington Post in an email.

President Donald Trump has not visited his office or residence in Trump Tower since taking office. The Secret Service, obligated to protect any president's primary residence, has set up a trailer outside the building on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue for use as a command center.

Between late 2015 -- when Trump was a presidential candidate -- until last month, the Secret Service maintained a presence in space one floor below Trump's private residence in the tower.

Neither the Trump Organization nor the U.S. General Services Administration, the agency responsible for government real estate actions, explained the points of conflict.

The New York Times reported that a new contract fell apart last month, primarily due to an unknown clause in the lease agreement Trump's representatives disagreed with. It's not clear whether discussions to put agents back in the building will continue.

Secret Service spokeswoman Catherine Milhoan said the agency is seeking "to obtain permanent work space in an appropriate location."

"The United States Secret Service continues to work with GSA to obtain permanent work space in an appropriate location," she said.

Related UPI Stories
Topics: Donald Trump
Trending Stories