Advertisement

North Carolina officer won't be charged for Keith Lamont Scott shooting

By
Andrew V. Pestano

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Nov. 30 (UPI) -- Andrew Murray, the district attorney for Charlotte-Mecklenburg County, on Wednesday said officer Brentley Vinson will not be charged in the September fatal shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.

Murray said he met with Scott's family prior to making the announcement, adding that the family was "extremely gracious." Murray said 15 prosecutors unanimously agreed that no charges should be filed in the case.

Advertisement

"I know some are going to be frustrated," Murray said, but Vinson "was justified in shooting him."

On speculation of whether Scott was armed, Murray said "all the credible evidence" indicates that Scott was armed during the police confrontation.

Charles Monnett, the attorney for the Scott family, said the announcement that Vinson would not be charged "doesn't end our inquiry."

"We still have concerns," Monnett said. "We still have real questions about what decisions were made that day."

The officer-involved shooting death of Scott, 43, occurred September 20 in Charlotte's University City neighborhood. Police said they had been searching for someone who had an outstanding warrant when they saw Scott leave his car. Officers on the scene said Scott had a gun.

Police said officers then approached Scott when he returned to the car. Officers shot Scott after he got out of the car again with a firearm "and posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers," police previously said.

Scott's death prompted protests and rioting that led North Carolina Gov. Pat McCory to declare a state of emergency.

Latest Headlines