Advertisement

Parents of two Benghazi victims file wrongful death suit against Hillary Clinton

By Eric DuVall
Parents of two Benghazi victims file wrongful death suit against Hillary Clinton
Patricia Smith, mother of Sean Smith who was killed in Benghazi, speaks during the Republican National Convention in Cleveland last month. Patricia Sith has filed suit against Hillary Clinton, who she blames personally for her son's death. Photo by Kevin Dietsch/UPI | License Photo

WASHINGTON, Aug. 9 (UPI) -- The parents of two Americans killed in the 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, have filed a civil suit against Hillary Clinton, alleging her use of a private email server while secretary of state contributed to the circumstances causing their sons' wrongful deaths.

Patricia Smith and Charles Woods, whose sons Sean Smith and Tyrone Woods were two of four Americans killed in the attack, allege Clinton's use of an unsecured private email server led to information about U.S. Libyan Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, who was also killed in the attack, to fall into enemy hands.

Advertisement

None of the nine federal investigations into the Benghazi attack turned up any evidence Clinton's private email server contributed to the incident, though a panel investigating Benghazi was the first to uncover its existence.

Though the plaintiffs presented no new evidence to support their claim, the lawsuit states it is "highly probable" Clinton's email contained information about Stevens' location and activities in Libya and it could have "easily found its way to foreign powers."

RELATED Lynch fends off GOP grilling on decision not to prosecute Clinton

In concluding its investigation into Clinton's email, FBI Director James Comey said the Democratic presidential nominee was "extremely careless" in her handling of sensitive government information her conduct did not merit criminal charges. Comey said it was possible Clinton's email was hacked without anyone knowing, but said investigators found no direct evidence it had actually happened.

Advertisement

One of the two parents who filed the suit, Patricia Smith, has been a vocal Clinton critic and supporter of Donald Trump. Smith spoke at the Republican National Convention, saying "I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son."

The suit also alleges defamation on the part of Clinton against the families. Smith said Clinton told her at her son's funeral that an anti-Muslim YouTube video released by an American pastor sparked a spontaneous riot in Benghazi, which led to her son's death. Clinton has publicly denied making the statement.

RELATED FBI director: Hillary Clinton not truthful in public statements about email

The suit was filed by Washington, D.C., lawyer Larry Klayman, a frequent Clinton critic who founded the conservative group Freedom Works. That organization has also sued Clinton for access to her emails while secretary of state under Freedom of Information law.

Nick Merrill, a Clinton campaign spokesman, said in a statement: "While no one can imagine the pain of the families of the brave Americans we lost at Benghazi, there have been nine different investigations into this attack and none found any evidence whatsoever of any wrongdoing on the part of Hillary Clinton."

RELATED Benghazi committee's final report finds 'tragic failure of leadership'

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement