SAN BERNARDINO, Calif., Dec. 30 (UPI) -- Enrique Marquez, the man who investigators say conspired with San Bernardino shooting suspect Syed Farook to plot other attacks in Southern California, was indicted on federal charges Wednesday.
A grand jury charged Marquez, 24, with plotting various terror attacks in the San Bernardino area -- located about 60 miles east of downtown Los Angeles -- in 2011 and 2012.
Officials previously said one plot involved shooting randomly on a busy Southern California freeway at rush hour, and another involved a pipe bomb and shooting attack at nearby Riverside College, where both Marquez and Farook were students.
Marquez had previously faced charges of providing material support for terrorists for allegedly buying two of the guns used in the attack on San Bernardino's Inland Regional Center Dec. 2. He is also charged with making false statements regarding the guns' purchases.
"This indictment demonstrates that we will hold accountable all individuals who collaborate with terrorists in executing their plans," U.S. Attorney Eileen M. Decker said in a statement.
"Defendant Marquez's extensive plotting with Syed Rizwan Farook in 2011 and 2012, and his purchase of explosive powder and two firearms, provided the foundation for the murders that occurred this month," Decker said.
If convicted, Marquez could spend up to 50 years in federal prison.