Reporters covering Ferguson, Mo., protests arrested

Wesley Lowery of the Washington Post and Ryan Reilly of Huffington Post were arrested while writing about Ferguson, Mo., protests at McDonald's.
By Danielle Haynes  |  Updated Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Leer en Español
share with facebook
share with twitter
1 of 27
| License Photo

FERGUSON, Mo., Aug. 13 (UPI) -- Reporters for the Washington Post and Huffington Post were arrested Wednesday at a McDonald's while writing about protests and riots taking place in Ferguson, Mo.

Wesley Lowery, of the Washington Post, and Ryan Reilly, of Huffington Post, were both inside the restaurant Wednesday evening when SWAT officers entered, handcuffed and booked the two reporters.

They were both writing and recharging their electronics when the officers entered and asked them to leave.

Reilly posted a photo of the SWAT members inside the McDonald's shortly before he was arrested.

Lowery and Reilly both said they were later released without much explanation. They recounted their experiences on Twitter.

Marty Baron, the executive editor of the Washington Post, issued a statement regarding the incident:

"Wesley has briefed us on what occurred, and there was absolutely no justification for his arrest. 

He was illegally instructed to stop taking video of officers. Then he followed officers' instructions to leave a McDonald's — and after contradictory instructions on how to exit, he was slammed against a soda machine and then handcuffed. That behavior was wholly unwarranted and an assault on the freedom of the press to cover the news. The physical risk to Wesley himself is obvious and outrageous.

After being placed in a holding cell, he was released with no charges and no explanation. He was denied information about the names and badge numbers of those who arrested him.

We are relieved that Wesley is going to be OK. We are appalled by the conduct of police officers involved."

Lowery and Reilly were in Ferguson to report about protests in response to the shooting death of a 17-year-old boy by police days earlier.

Mike Brown died Saturday after being shot multiple times by police while his hands were in the air. He was unarmed.

Topics: Mike Brown
Trending Stories