NEW YORK, Dec. 18 (UPI) -- Two New York City teens were badly burned when the marijuana they were soaking in butane exploded when one lit a cigarette, police said.
Anthony Gambale, 19, and girlfriend Gabriella Katanov, 17, were inside a garage in Brooklyn about 2:20 a.m. Tuesday attempting to make a form of marijuana dubbed "earwax," which requires makers to soak the plants in butane to create a gooey residue that resembles earwax. The highly flammable concoction is said to be 80 percent stronger than average marijuana.
The New York Daily News said neighbors heard a large explosion and the garage caught fire.
"We could see the flames and hear people yelling for help," said next-door neighbor Pat Doyle.
Paramedics rushed the two to Staten Island University Hospital where doctors said they suffered second- and third-degree burns on much of the top half of their bodies.
Police said marijuana plants and a large stash of the harvested drug were found at the residence. Charges are pending.