COVINGTON, Ga., Nov. 21 (UPI) -- Officials at a Georgia grade school suspended a 9-year-old boy after he was caught crushing up Smarties candies and snorting the powder, the boy's mother said.
Chelsi Lewis said her son, Demitri Santiago, was sent home from Porterdale Elementary School in Covington, Ga., Nov. 14 with a note saying he had been suspended for two days for snorting the candy powder.
"I said, 'What? Where could he have gotten this from?' " Lewis said of the suspension.
"He told me he had witnessed a student in class, he had actually watched her. He'd watched her crush it up and inhale it," she added. "I said, 'What made you so curious about it?' And he said, 'Her reaction was like, 'Wooo! ' "
Lewis said her son promised not to snort the candy powder again, but she wanted to warn other parents about the dangerous trend.
"Anything going up the nose and especially candy -- anything was terribly dangerous," she said.
The Newton County School System released a statement saying they are investigating the matter, WXIA-TV, Atlanta, reported Tuesday.
"The health, safety, and well-being of our students are all very important to us. This activity has the potential to be very dangerous for children and parents need to be aware of the possible health risks. While we cannot release individual student discipline information due to federal privacy laws, those involved have been disciplined accordingly," the statement said.