PHOENIX, Nov. 19 (UPI) -- A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit by the parents of slain U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian Terry, who was killed by a weapon from Operation Fast and Furious.
Kent Terry Sr. and wife Josephine Terry filed the $25 million negligence lawsuit in Phoenix after their son's death in December 2010, arguing the government was responsible for his death.
Operation Fast and Furious came under fire when it was revealed the Justice Department allowed assault-style weapons to be purchased and smuggled into Mexico. The weapons were tracked in an attempt to identify and prosecute drug cartel leaders.
One of those weapons was then used to kill Terry during a shootout with border bandits near Rio Rico.
U.S. District Judge David Campbell said Friday the lawsuit against the government and seven federal employees was prohibited by law, The Arizona Republic reported Monday.
"The court recognizes that plaintiffs have suffered a great loss," Campbell wrote, "and that any financial remedy is likely insufficient to redress their injury."
He said the lawsuit was not allowed since compensation for Terry's death had already been established.
The Terrys said they plan to appeal.