LOS ANGELES, Oct. 8 (UPI) -- A Los Angeles judge has ordered two men to stand trial for the deaths of Ying Wu and Ming Qu, two University of Southern California students from China.
The ruling came after a week-long hearing to determine if there was enough evidence to try Bryan Barnes, 21, and Javier Bolden, 20, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The two 23-year-old victims were fatally shot as they sat in a car in April 2012. Wu's iPhone had been stolen, investigators said, and a GPS track on its location led authorities to Barnes.
Investigators then got a warrant to listen in on phone calls Barnes made with his own phone.
During one conversation, he told Bolden he sold the phone to a mobile store, and later alluded to the shooting, the Times reported.
Investigators used the shell casings recovered at the scene to link the two defendants to another shooting, in which the victim was hit eight times.
Bolden was tied to a third incident that left two people wounded.
The two defendants will be arraigned on the charges Nov. 7.