Bail set at $1 million for suspect in Jacksonville airport hoax bomb

Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., Oct. 2 (UPI) -- Bond was set at $1 million Wednesday for one of two suspects arrested when a bomb scare led to the evacuation of the airport in Jacksonville, Fla.

Zeljko Causevic, 39, had his bail set at the million-dollar level after being charged with making a false report of a bomb and manufacturing, possessing or selling a hoax bomb, WTEV-TV, Jacksonville, reported. Causevic's next court appearance was set for Oct. 23.

Investigators allege in a report that Causevic was in a security checkpoint area Tuesday evening when he said, "I got a bomb in here."

The police report stated he said he had a device in his camouflage backpack that was "supposed to be a bomb, but it's not." He allegedly described the device as a luggage scale with two flat round batteries and a microchip. A cellphone Causevic allegedly described to police as a remote-controlled detonator also was seized.

A bomb squad was brought in to dispose of the device.

The television station said investigators, who seized his motorcycle, were unsure whether Causevic intended to fly out of the Jacksonville airport.

The second suspect, Manuel Rivera, a 35-year-old Illinois man, was arrested and held without bond for allegedly acting suspiciously and resisting arrest near the airport parking garage, WTEV-TV said. Authorities said they did not believe he had anything to do with the hoax bomb scare.

Rivera had a court hearing set for Thursday afternoon.

WTEV said a man seen on a video being removed from a flight was not arrested and was released. An airport spokesman said the pilot was being extra cautious in having the man removed from his flight.

Jacksonville International was evacuated shortly before 6 p.m. EDT Tuesday after airport police said they found two suspicious packages. The airport reopened about 11 p.m., but more than 20 flights were canceled Wednesday morning, The Florida Times-Union reported.

Passengers waiting for departing flights were evacuated, while passengers on arriving flights were loaded onto shuttle buses on the tarmac and taken to hotels.

Airport spokesman Michael Stewart said passengers could return to the terminal to pick up their luggage and check with airlines for morning flight information.

Witness Jennifer Lee told WJXT-TV, Jacksonville, she saw a man taken into custody at the security checkpoint.

"My colleague and I were coming through security, and all of a sudden they stopped everybody that was in security," Lee said. "We looked a couple of lanes over and they were arresting a gentleman in sunglasses. Originally they told us to stand there. Then they started to yell at us to leave."

Another witness said he saw a different man who had disembarked from a flight being tackled by authorities who told him to drop his bag. That man was taken into custody as well.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories