LOS ANGELES, Sept. 16 (UPI) -- A music industry veteran was hospitalized in Los Angeles after his girlfriend's ex-husband attacked him with a machete and scalpel, police said.
Jerry Sharell, who hosts a show on KKJZ-FM, was visiting his girlfriend at her home in the Woodland Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles Sunday morning when her ex-husband showed up, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The ex-husband, whose name has not been released, was carrying a machete, scalpel and a bouquet of roses, police said. He force his way into the house and held Sharell and his girlfriend hostage for several hours, during which he stabbed Sharell numerous times, including once in the throat.
He then turned the weapon on himself, police said.
"He asked his ex-wife to watch as he killed himself," Sgt. Jeff Nuttall said.
At that point, the woman managed to escape and call police who rescued the couple and arrested the ex-husband.
Sharell was rushed to a hospital where he underwent surgery. He is expected to survive.
The attacker was also hospitalized. The extent of his injuries was not reported.
- Texas man accused of hiring hit man to kill wife is found dead
- Man shoots at three young neighbors, victims not seriously injured
- Man suspected of killing four found in car in Tennessee
- 'Person of interest' questioned in 4 deaths in Tennessee
- Florida pastor arrested with kerosene-soaked Korans
- Investigator: Suspect admitted killing potential Bulger witness