CHICAGO, July 24 (UPI) -- A young boy buried alive in an Indiana sand dune this month was discharged from a Chicago hospital to receive treatment elsewhere, the hospital said.
Nathan Woessner, 6, was buried for more than 3 hours by as much as 11 feet of sand July 13 when a sinkhole opened on Mount Baldy at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan City, Ind.
The boy was hospitalized at the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital in critical condition with injuries to his lungs from inhaling sand. Doctors said he didn't suffer any brain or neurological damage but still needs some rehabilitative therapy.
The hospital issued a statement Wednesday saying Nathan had been released late Tuesday, WBBM, Chicago, reported.