MIAMI, May 29 (UPI) -- A Miami judge Wednesday said he would delay a bond hearing for a former actor and his wife accused of submitting $15 million in bogus billings to Medicare.
Attorneys for Roberto F. Marrero and his wife, Sandra Fernandez Viera, were granted the delay after they said they needed more time, The Miami Herald reported.
Prosecutors had planned to ask U.S. Magistrate Judge Patrick White to detain the couple during the hearing. White reset the hearing for June 11.
Attorneys for the couple told the judge they needed more time to work out how they would get paid since the government had frozen the assets of Marrero and Viera.
The couple, who formerly owned Trust Care Health Services of Miami, was accused earlier this month of conspiring to submit fake bills to Medicare for supposed skilled nursing care and physical therapy for homebound diabetic patients.
In a filing with the court, Justice Department prosecutor Brendan Stewart had argued the couple should be held without bond because millions of missing funds from Trust Care "makes them an especially high flight risk." He said the government had only been able to locate a "fraction" of the money the couple's healthcare company had received from Medicare.
Both Marrero and Viera were born in Cuba and have made numerous trips there, the document added.
Marrero has had a number of roles on television shows, including America's Most Wanted and Miami Vice.