Las Vegas house fire kills man; 3 hurt

Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 17 (UPI) -- Las Vegas firefighters said a bed-ridden man was killed early Thursday in a house fire that also sent his three roommates to the hospital.

The injuries in the pre-dawn blaze included smoke inhalation and possible carbon monoxide poisoning, but the victims should recover, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue officials told KLAS-TV, Las Vegas.

Heavy smoke was pouring from the home when the first fire vehicles arrived at the scene shortly after midnight. Two of the residents had escaped from the house, and neighbors pulled a third man to safety through a window; however, the fourth resident was unable to escape and was discovered dead inside the home.

Investigators said the survivors told them the dead man had been laid up in bed due to an injury. He was described as a heavy smoker who used a space heater at night, either of which could have started the fire.

The names of the victims were not immediately released.

Trending Stories