SANFORD, Fla., July 13 (UPI) -- Defense lawyers Friday asked for a new judge to try the second-degree murder case against for George Zimmerman for the slaying of an unarmed black Florida teen.
In a motion filed Friday, Zimmerman's lawyers said they no longer think he can get a fair trial from Judge Kenneth Lester Jr., the Orlando Sentinel reported.
Lester last week increased Zimmerman's bail to $1 million and said Zimmerman appeared to be planning to leave the country with $130,000 he had hidden from prosecutors.
Mark O'Mara and Don West said in the motion for a new judge that Lester's order "makes gratuitous, disparaging remarks about Zimmerman's character," and raise "a reasonable fear in Mr. Zimmerman that this court is biased against him."
One judge -- Jessica Recksiedler -- has already been removed in the case because her husband works for an attorney who comments on the case and had been considered as a prospective defense attorney, the Sentinel said.
Prosecutors said they would object to the motion to disqualify Lester.