CHATHAM, N.J., March 4 (UPI) -- Some Chatham, N.J., parents say when they picked up a prescription from a CVS pharmacy for fluoride pills, they were accidentally given a powerful cancer drug.
The fluoride pills, meant for children's teeth, were switched for tamoxifen, a medication used to treat breast cancer. The mix-up went unnoticed for at least two months.
ABC News reported area parents are outraged and concerned, though no illnesses have been reported as a result of the swapped pills. The number of families affected wasn't reported.
CVS issued a statement saying it is investigating the mistake.
"Beginning last week, we have contacted or have left messages for every family whose child was dispensed a 0.5 mg fluoride prescription from our Chatham location within the past 60 days," the company's statement said.
"Fortunately, most of the families we have spoken to did not indicate that their children received any incorrect pills. We will continue to follow up with families who believe that their children may have ingested incorrect medication."