BENTONVILLE, Ark., Dec. 22 (UPI) -- Walmart says it is removing Enfamil baby formula from its shelves as authorities in Missouri investigate the death of a baby who contracted a rare bacterium.
Corporate headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., said it instructed its stores nationwide to pull and hold a specific lot number of Enfamil baby formula Thursday out of an abundance of caution after a 10-day-old infant died of the rare bacterial infection, the Springfield, Mo., TV station KYTV-TV reported.
The baby from Lebanon, Mo., started showing signs of bacterial meningitis last Friday and he died Sunday at a hospital in Springfield, the Lebanon Daily Record reported.
Preliminary tests showed he had contracted a rare bacteria, Cronobacter sakazakii, which can come from powdered infant formula contaminated with the bacterium.
Walmart said it has pulled Enfamil Newborn formula in 12.5-ounce cans with the lot number ZP1K7G.
The maker of Enfamil says it tested that particular batch of formula consumed by the infant who died.
"That batch was tested for cronobacter, and it came out negative, and we've gone back and reconfirmed that in our records," Chris Perrille, a representative of Mead Johnson Nutrition, said.