Advertisement

UPI NewsTrack TopNews

Three explosions strike Mumbai

MUMBAI, July 13 (UPI) -- Three explosions shook Mumbai during Wednesday's evening rush hour, killing at least 10, Indian authorities said.

Advertisement

The Home Ministry confirmed the explosions at the Opera House, Zaveri Bazaar and Dadar West were terrorist attacks, NDTV reported.

The explosions across the city occurred within minutes, with the first one at 7:10 p.m. in south Mumbai's Zaveri Bazaar, near the Mumbadevi temple, police spokesman Nisar Tamboli told CNN-IBN.

NDTV reported six people were killed when a car exploded at a bus stop at Dadar West and four died when an electric meter box blew up at Zaveri Bazaar.

Witnesses said 15 to 20 people wounded at Zaveri Bazaar were hospitalized. A witness said a fire that broke out in Zaveri Bazaar has been contained.

The Daily Bhaskar reported 100 wounded in the Opera House explosion.

An unexploded bomb was reportedly found at Dadar.

The National Investigation Agency is sending a team from New Delhi to investigate and gather evidence, and police have appealed for calm. Public places in other cities like Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai have been put on high alert.


Obama, DNC raise $86 million

Advertisement

WASHINGTON, July 13 (UPI) -- U.S. President Barack Obama's re-election campaign said Wednesday it raised $86 million with the Democratic National Committee between April and June.

Obama campaign manager Jim Messina announced the combined total in a video released just before dawn, Roll Call reported.

Messina said 552,462 donors contributed during the quarter with the average donation clocking in at "about $69."

Ninety-eight percent of the donors to the campaign contributed $250 or less, he said.

"We did this from the bottom up," Messina said. "We didn't accept one single dollar from Washington lobbyists or special interests PACs."

Of the $86 million raised, Messina said more than $47 million went into the coffers of Obama for America and more than $38 million went to the DNC, Politico reported.

The combined total of $86 million for the period just ended blows past the $60 million goal set by both groups at the start of the fundraising quarter.


Protesters remain in Tahrir Square

CAIRO, July 13 (UPI) -- Protesters gathered in Cairo's Tahrir Square for the fifth day in a row Wednesday to press their demands for justice, police said.

The group wants speedy trials for those suspected of corruption or killing demonstrators during the revolution that began in January, the Egyptian news agency MENA reported.

Advertisement

Police allowed protesters into the Mugamma government building for the first time since entrances were blocked earlier this week.

On Tuesday, Deputy Prime Minister Yehia al-Gamal, 81, resigned his post to return to teaching, the English language Web site Bikya Masr reported.

Egyptian Prime Minister Essam Sharaf, in an address to the nation, said a cabinet reshuffle would be announced within a week.

Al-Gamal's resignation and the reshuffle comes as public anger at the current cabinet continues to fester.

Speedy trials of the officers accused of killing protesters during the 18-day uprising that ousted former President Hosni Mubarak is a top priority of the Tahrir Square protesters.


Search group sues Casey Anthony for fraud

ORLANDO, Fla., July 13 (UPI) -- A volunteer search group sued Florida mom Casey Anthony, seeking to recoup more than $100,000 the group said it spent looking for Anthony's daughter, Caylee.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday by Texas EquuSearch alleges that Casey Anthony committed fraud because she knew her 2-year-old child was dead, not missing as she and her parents claimed when asking for help in 2008, The Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel reported.

"It was [defense attorney] Jose Baez's opening statement when he said Caylee was never missing because she had died, that got me really upset," Tim Miller, the non-profit organization's founder and director, said. "We were lied to and misled."

Advertisement

The group traveled twice to Florida to look for the 2-year-old and spent about $112,000, Miller said, turning down 15 other families requesting assistance because Texas EquuSearch members were searching for Caylee Anthony.

"We have no agenda other than to recoup the money and use it for which it was intended," Miller said.

Anthony was found not guilty in the death of her daughter last week. She was found guilty of four misdemeanor counts of lying to police and sentenced to four years, but credited for time served and for good behavior. She is to be released Sunday.

Texas EquuSearch's suit isn't the first civil lawsuit Anthony faces, the Sentinel said. Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez of Kissimmee, Fla., is suing Anthony for defamation. During the search for her daughter, Anthony told investigators and her family that a nanny with the same name kidnapped Caylee. The information turned out to be false, detectives said.


Thousands protest Cyprus base explosion

NICOSIA, Cyprus, July 13 (UPI) -- Clashes broke out at Cyprus' presidential palace as thousands protested a naval base explosion that killed 12 people and crippled a power plant, officials said.

Eight of the victims of Monday's blast at the Evangelos Florakis base are to be buried Wednesday, the Famagusta Gazette reported.

Advertisement

Police responded with tear gas Tuesday night when some demonstrators stormed the outer gates of President Demetris Christofias' residence, the Cyprus Mail said.

Marchers carried banners reading "Shame on You, Criminals," "State: Killer of Your Children" and "Christofias Resign." They demanded the immediate prosecution of those responsible for stockpiling munitions, confiscated from a ship sailing from Iran to Syria in 2009, at the site.

The explosion knocked out the the Vassiliko power plant, which supplies 60 percent of the country's electricity.

Antonis Paschalides, minister of commerce, industry and tourism, assured hotel operators Wednesday they will get uninterrupted power.

"Tourism is of utmost importance for the economy, especially in such difficult times,'' he said.


Sudan bombs region on southern border

KHARTOUM, Sudan, July 13 (UPI) -- The Sudanese air force has bombed a region bordering newly independent South Sudan, the United Nations said Wednesday.

Officials told the BBC bombing and gunfire were heard Monday around Kadugli, the main town in South Kordofan.

In June, some 70,000 people fled warfare in South Kordofan, where the northern Sudanese are trying to disarm fighters from the Nuba people, who sided with the southern Sudanese during the long civil war but are now north of the new border. Khartoum has been accused of ethnic cleansing in the region.

Advertisement

Under a deal arranged by the African Union, pro-south fighters are supposed to be integrated into the northern army or disarmed peacefully.

Meanwhile, an official in Khartoum's ruling party, Gudbi-Al Mahadi, threatened foreign aid agencies with expulsion, charging they are supporting the Nuba rebels, the pro-government Sudanese Media Center says.

In 2009, Sudan expelled 10 humanitarian groups from the western Darfur region for alleged collaboration with the International Criminal Court, which has issued an arrest warrant for President Omar al-Bashir on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity.

The court also has a warrant out for Ahmed Haroun, a former Darfur governor now running South Kordofan.

Latest Headlines