Advertisement

Calif. appeals court dismisses abuse suit

SACRAMENTO, Nov. 11 (UPI) -- A California court dismissed a woman's lawsuit against the Diocese of Sacramento, finding she should have suspected 20 years ago priests were abusing her sons.

Lawyers for the woman, identified only as Jane Doe, argued the statute of limitations did not apply to her lawsuit because her sons did not disclose the abuse until 2007. But the appeals court said Wednesday she could not show she had "diligently investigated" her sons' relationships with two priests accused of molesting other boys, The Sacramento Bee reported Thursday.

Advertisement

The Rev. Jose Luis Urbina left the country in 1989 after pleading guilty to molesting a child in his parish. The Rev. Gerardo Beltran fled after being charged in 1991.

While Doe might not have learned that her sons had been abused, she apparently made no effort to find out, the court said, even though Urbina and Beltran had unsupervised time with her sons.

Doe, described as an immigrant from Mexico and divorced mother of 10 children, was working for the diocese at the time and Beltran was her supervisor. Both men served as "surrogate fathers" to her sons, the opinion said.

Advertisement

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement